Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Drive Across America...Day Four

Today we were in
Texas
Oklahoma
(then back in Texas)

We traveled 390 miles and this is the route we took:

View Larger Map

We listened to 'The Horse and His Boy:  The Chronicles of Narnia' 
and started listening to 'The Unexpected Return' from Lamplighter.

Today was fun, fun, super fun!

Ahh, Texas....you have donut shops everywhere.  We had to have some for breakfast today.

Rose playing with My Little Ponies under her snuggie

Our check engine light came on....we had to stop for minor repairs.  It was a broken vacuum hose.  The guy here in Decatur, TX was very friendly.

We kept seeing these 'Whataburger' restaurants, so we tried one for lunch.

The scenery from my window today
 As we were crossing this bridge we saw that this river was dried up...and there was a cow in the river bed.  Poor cow.  It was HOT.   Oh around 112 degrees.


 We drove on Route 66 for part of todays drive.  Lots of neat little things here and there.

Do you like the movie 'Cars'?  We saw the Conoco station in Shamrock, TX.  Here is my photo:
Here it is in the film:

We also saw a rusty truck with eyes and teeth painted on it to look like Mater.
 

This is my photo of a leaning water tower that is said to be part the inspiration for the leaning tower of tires in the film.
Here is Lugi's tire tower:


Okay, this was even more fun than I was expecting.  Just west of Amarillo, TX is the famous Cadillac Ranch.

which by the way, also appeared in the movie as part of the surrounding mountains:

Chad and Rose at the entrance gate with spray paint cans in hand

We got started with our 'art' right away

My creation, I painted the side pink then wrote in white
Rose's creation...her name and a smiley face

This guy painted over mine right away

so Rose painted over his

and then I painted the letters back on....it was all very fun!

Our hotel.... The Ambassador in Amarillo

Supper was super fun, too.  We ate at the Big Texan.  You may have seen it on Man vs Food.  If you can eat a 72 oz steak and sides in 60 minutes, it is free.  crazy.



These guys were up on stage, trying to eat that 72 ouncer.....they did not succeed.

Rose's drink came in a boot.

Live music came to your table

Our food :0)
The steak was very good.  Mmmmm, mine almost melted in my mouth...it was so tender.  I think this was the first meal of the trip were I ate all of my plate!

Rose's meal came with a cowboy hat!


more photos in front of the restaurant

Good-bye, Big Texan Steakhouse.....we had fun!
Today really was a lot of fun!  It is pretty neat driving across America!

Also, I had taken over 100 photos today! ...so it was hard trying to decide which ones to include here.  I hope you are enjoying coming along with us!! 

7 comments:

Teresa said...

I am enjoying seeing pictures and reading about your trip. Hope the rest of the trip is fun also.

Lauren said...

so glad I am back home to my computer so I can follow along again!

Samantha said...

LK has always dreamed of going to Texas-- there and the Netherlands. This has only made that desire stronger. That restaurant looked like fun. Remind me to tell you my Whataburger story-- after you have forgotten that you ate there :).

Angela said...

Thank you Teresa! I am glad you are enjoying it :)

Samantha, did you notice I did not comment about the food we ate there...I am scared, but curious, to hear your story.

Glad you are home safe and sound Lauren!!

Steph said...

I LOVED reading about your Cadillac Ranch adventure! :D

sju said...

Angela,it was Shamrock where the Conoco station was. We couldn't remember the name of the town but that it was close to Amarillo. And you found the Big Texan!!! Wow,,just reliving the memories here.

Angela said...

Sandra, thanks for all tips! We are having so much fun.