Monday, July 25, 2011

Drive Across America...Day Two

 Today we were in 5 states.
Alabama
Mississippi
Arkansas
Louisiana

We visited Winterville Indian Mounds in Greenville, MS.

We listened to The Magician's Nephew, which is chronologically the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

We traveled 395 miles.  Here is the route we took toady.

View Larger Map
We had a relaxing morning in the hotel and ate strawberries and orange juice from our cooler for breakfast..

We started out on the interstate but then veered to a divided highway and eventually down to a regular two lane highway.  It was a beautiful drive.  We saw a variety of scenery in between all the small towns we drove through.  We enjoyed the peacefulness of the drive today.

Rose has been learning her states and capitals via the Audio Memory CD, so I pinned up this map in the van to help her 'see' what she was learning.

The first half hour I was car sick even with my I-Trans band on.  So, I rubbed the essential oils behind my ears as well.  Yesterday, I was just running the I-trans in 30 minute segments.  It automaticly turns off after 30 mins, so I was doing 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off.  But since I was feeling sick today I ran it for 60 minutes and increased the power.  That helped and I was car sick free the rest of the day!!  Yippee!  It still seems too good to be true.
Yesterday, when I had my band on, Chad and I did not hold hands. (sob)  The sensation was too strong for him.  So we only got to hold hands every other half hour.  But today we realized that he couldn't feel it if he just held my finger.  (yea!)  So we got to hold hands, or finger, all day.  Ahh, nice.
....Do you hold hands with your husband/wife when you drive??

A friend suggested we get the book The Next Exit .  We used it to pick out which exit would be a good one to stop at for lots of choices for lunch.
Rose picked our lunch restaurant.  ...Olive Garden, or as she calls it "Oliver Garden"  This was a very happy girl!
After lunch we saw some devastating tornado damage.  It was awful.  Buildings and homes just piles of rubble...semi trucks totally twisted...tree after tree just snapped off. 


These are views from my seat....taking the highway (after lunch) instead of the interstate made  for a beautiful drive today.




The Winterville Indian Mounds in Greenville, MS
Entrance to the museum...


 on the grounds....


  Rose on top a mound....
Back on the road....More pictures from my seat...






We wanted to eat at a local cajun restaurant, but after driving in the rain, we found the restaurant closed.  We checked into the hotel first, and was advised to go Copeland's.  There is a Copeland's in Atlanta, a franchise, but we had never been there, so instead of driving around more in the rain, we went there.  It was yummy, especially the crawfish and crabcakes.
 We had planned on staying in a Bed and Breakfast that I found online.  The site stated that children are welcome.  But instead of just booking online, I felt I should call.  When I called the lady did not seem very kid friendly and encouraged us to stay elsewhere.  I am glad I called.  We decided to do Priceline again, and stayed at the Hampton. 
We had a wonderful day, enjoying each others company and God's beautiful handiwork.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Angela, I love seeing the pictures of y'all by the state welcome signs! They are great pictures, but I hate feeling that you are father away with each one! I was telling Ronda about the arm bands last night. She wants to look into them for Jenna & herself. So glad they are working for you!

BTW - So jealous of the food available to you! Enjoy the freedom!!!

Samantha said...

Of course J and I always hold hands when we are driving. It's a great part about long trips.

I really liked that picture of Rose in front of the Arkansas sign-- it felt very Duggarish!

Tell Rose that Oliver Garden is one of my favorites. I go just for the after dinner chocolates :).

Angela said...

Connie, I am in shock at what I am doing in the van! :0) happy happy

Samantha - I wanted to make stopping by the Duggars, part of our trip. heehee....but yes even I know there is a line.
I could imagine you shaking your head at my photo yesterday with me using the laptop in the van. :0)
And of course, I am not shocked about you and J holding hands. :0)
Give LK a hug from us today.

Samantha said...

I was glad to pass along the hugs from Auntie A. The first thing Lilly Kate asked when I told her what states you had visited (we are praying for your travels at dinner) was, "Did they stop at the Duggar's in Arkansas?"