Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week 24 and Character Development

Here are some random photos from our week....

Rose doing school on a yoga ball with a surrounding of beloved stuffed animals.  

Playing...


Rose and Carissa's crafts from their playdate...

A big part of parenting is teaching Character Development to our children.  Over the years I have found some great resources to help us out in this important endeavor.  Here is a list of companies/resources I can highly recommend:

But I thought I would let you know about a new resource I found last summer 'We Choose Virtues'.  We have been using it this school year....and I think it is great.  
I like that it has a cute catch phrase and a back story with each virtue.  It has been easy to add to our days.  I appreciate the Bible verses that go with it as well.  This helps her understand the 'why' and not just the 'what'.  
I printed out the verses and laminated them with their mini posters.  I hung them in our stair way for reinforcement.  
An example from the set: the 'Self-Controlled' poster says "I am self-controlled"  "I make myself do the right thing."  "I am NOT wild, rowdy, or disorderly and I don't expect others to control me."  The verse is "But your sinful nature does not control you.  The Holy Spirit controls you.  The Spirit of God lives in you.  Romans 8:9"  


We have these posters in our school room...

I wasn't sure if I was going to use the '100 days of virtues' poster or not.  It came with set I purchased and I set it aside.  But when Rose saw it, she got so excited.  She has really enjoyed changing the caterpillars into butterflies.  It has been nice.  Whenever I notice Rose doing one of the virtues I can bring it to her attention and she can go put a butterfly sticker on a caterpillar as a reward.  It has been wonderful for reinforcing these positive actions and attitudes.
We keep the parenting Cards in the kitchen next to daddy's Bible reading materials.  Either before or after our Family Bible Time we take a couple minutes and go over one card.  It is on these cards that have the cute little stories (as well as the catch phrase and Bible verse).  I would say these cards are the base item of the curriculum. I could recommend them with ease to any parent that is interested.  What about you?  What are some good resources you have found?

1 comment:

Jennifer Hoover said...

We use 'We Choose Virtues' as well and love it. The older kids do the youth journal.