Saturday, October 13, 2012

Week 7 and the Wild Animal Ark Sanctuary

It's that time of year...to make some yummy caramel apples...


 Rose playing dress up...

This week we learned about William and Catherine Booth in our Hero Tales.  In science we studied food chains, scavengers and decomposers.  We 'traveled' to Canada and learned about Canadian people and places.  In studying the Inuit people of Canada we learned about their animal carvings.  We tried our own animal carvings using soap.  Umm....well, I guess it takes practice to get good at these kinds of things.


We took a family Field Trip to the Wild Animal Ark Sanctuary.  They care for wild animals (such as cheetahs, bears, mountain lions, etc) that have been injured and can't survive in the wild.








2 comments:

lauren said...

I have thought about doing the soap carving. Were u scared she would cut herself? It seems dangerous.

Angela said...

Lauren, I was not scared about her cutting herself. She has been properly using a knife since she was toddler, helping me chop food in the kitchen. At age 4 she could do bigger cutting jobs in the kitchen. Since age 3 she has been doing lots of cutting of paper crafts, etc.
Although carving is a step up from chopping, I was still pretty confident. Just a few reminders of knife safety and we were good to go.
Soap is good thing to start with because it is smooth and soft compared to carving wood.