Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MFW Adventures Week One

We really enjoyed this week of school!  Rose was super ready to start back to school, so that helped a lot!

She was so excited Sunday night she could hardly get to sleep.

Here she is on Monday.  The first day of 2nd grade.

Probably my favorite from this past week was writing a letter to Rose explaining why we picked her name.
It was so precious to write this to her.

Rose's favorite thing was starting her time line.

This year we are studying US history.
The time line is up in our hallway and Rose is looking forward to people being able to see it when they come over.

On Monday we had a "red, white, and blue" snack.....Well, they suggested yogurt, but I thought I would make pudding as a special treat since we regularly have yogurt.  But I hadn't made pudding since before Rose was born and forgot that unlike yogurt, vanilla pudding is yellow not white.  Also, our blueberries look purple and I thought I had some strawberries, but didn't, so I used a red grape, which also looked purple.
So our "red, white, and blue" snack ended up a 'yellow and purple' snack.  But we enjoyed it very much and we pretended it was red, white and blue!   Which just added to the fun!

 Here is a picture of an experiment we did with salt water/fresh water.  She loves science and would be very happy if we did an experiment EVERY day.



Here she is doing Art.  She has a book and I have a copy of the same book.....we both do it together in our own books.   super fun!


Making a bracelet with an R (for Rose) to remind her that God loves HER.

Nature Study and nature sketching.....this is another thing we both do together.   She loves doing nature study.  Now that we are in the west and not the Southeast.....it is harder for me.  I don't know the plants here!  I need new field guides that pertain to this area.  

We did lots more, too, of course......maybe I will highlight some other areas next week.

It was a great first week of second grade!!

9 comments:

Samantha said...

I really love Abeka and as I read about each new year, I can't imagine not using their program. But then I read about MFW and get so many ideas and wonder what things we might be missing. Another great part about homeschooling-- we can explore them all!

Lauren said...

sounds wonderful. wish we could come over and see her timeline!

Christina said...

We are doing Adventures too. I loved writing and reading to my boys the letters I wrote about their name. Adventures is such a fun curriculum--such a great way to learn about God's world. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I LOVE that you do some things TOGETHER! Nothing like sharing the learning experience WITH the kids! My kids remember those specials school times the most!

Monica said...

We did Adventures last year... so much fun! I like your time line too. Thanks for linking up!

MK said...

Oh I love your timeline! Some crazy woman with a laminator obsession laminated our timeline pieces before coloring them, so they they aren't very pretty! (yes, that was me!) I love that you have an art book to do with your daughter too, that would have been fun! This is our first year homeschooling and we are using ADV too!

Sarah said...

Looks like a very good week. I like your timeline. Hope you have a wonderful year.

Kelly said...

I am so glad you are coming to the lake on Tuesday. We look forward to meeting you and I love your blog.

jeannine: waddlee-ah-chaa said...

Hi from HHH.

What a great back to school week. I love to see so much hands-on learning and the interaction between parent and child. That is the true blessing of homeschool!

We're also studying US history this year. We are starting with basic knowledge of the states and then moving-on to our timeline.

We'll be reading and writing our way through America.