It was mid May and I was trying to finish up our school year. One more plus to homeschooling, we can take it with us. Here is Rose doing a little school work in the airport.

and then here on the airplane...

But don't think it was all work and no play...here she is watching a movie on the plane...

We stayed in the Eldorado hotel.

This was the view from our window.

Here we are in downtown Reno.

Yes the public art IS poker chips.

I must say my first few days there I was in awe of the mountains and the desert. I thought it was just beautiful!
...But about Thursday morning I started really missing the GREEN. Everything is pretty brown there. At that time I also started missing the south.....the southern charm, hospitality, conservatism, the Bible belt. I was starting to get very discouraged being in this vastly different environment. Visiting it seemed nice, but the thought of living there....scared me.
Thankfully we made a point to visit a local christian homeschool group's end of the year presentation day. We were able to meet some nice christian families and that did make me feel much better.
And these next few photos are pretty awesome. Reno is right next to Lake Tahoe. ...And look trees!



Here Chad and Rose climbed down to touch the lake....it was COLD water!!

We were so high up Rose got to build a baby snowman.

We were eating out so much.....

we decided to stop at a Whole Foods to grab some food for lunch....

and the florist there thought Rose was so polite, she gave her some free tulips.

And the weather in general was pretty crazy. Here Rose is jumping on the trampoline in the sunshine yet you can see that it is also starting to hail.

As for the real estate tour...I thought it was productive. We are going to rent at least a few months before we buy. We picked out an apartment. And we think we know which neighborhood we would like to buy in.....but we will see.
At the end of our trip, we had a nice little perk...we were moved to First Class on the way home. much more room...

and Rose loved all the food and snacks they kept serving....

I get terribly air sick when we fly (also when I ride in a car/train/bus). Being in first class did help a lot. More room, not as hot, etc.
But since that is not a real option....this is what I have found works best for me:
Wrist bands and Essential oils... The bands push on my pressure points. The oils, I apply behind my ears (and Rose's). It isn't 100%, but it does help a lot!
Do you get motion sickness? If so, what have you found that helps?

4 comments:
I cracked up seeing your pictures of the casinos. I am so glad that your visited on a high note. You can find a little nitch of believers just about anywhere... even in the biggest little city in the world.
How come you don't get seasick? I get terribly seasick. Nothing helps. I have solved that problem by staying off of the water. :)
I don't know why I don't get sea sick?? I think if I was in a fishing boat on the ocean instead of huge cruise ship I would get sick for sure.
Or maybe it is so we can share...you get the sea, I get the land and air?
Just found the link to your blog on Facebook when you answered a question about MFW and that you are doing Adventures this next year.
We live 1 1/2 hours North West of Reno, in California, but Reno is our biggest, closest city. When you visited that isn't our typical "May" weather. We had snow clear up until June 1st! Right now it is beautiful in Reno, Tahoe and even up here in Susanville!
I'm sure it is very different than what you are used to in the South, but I would love to answer any questions you might have or be someone you get to know "close" to your new home.
Feel free to e-mail me at smkirklin@gail.com.
I am going into my 3rd year of homeschooling, I have a son who is in 3rd grade and a daughter going into first.
I remember being overwhelmed and homesick when I first moved to California. Yes, it's pretty but there's more brown than the lush green. Even 14 years later, I still get really homesick for green, for the fall color, for gentle spring thunderstorms, and for fireflies.
I don't know much about Reno, but I've spent a lot of time at Lake Tahoe's South Shore (California/Nevada border). I'm only three hours away from there, which in California terms is nothing - merely a short drive. ;)
Regarding air sickness, my husband gets violently ill on planes. He takes one Bonine pill an hour before flying, and another one right before takeoff, if I remember correctly. He also takes anti-anxiety meds to further knock down the stress of flying. He gets motion sickness on boats, roller coaster rides (of course), and in the car if we're on winding roads. Wish I knew how to help make that go away.
Post a Comment