Monday, August 17, 2009

It is official....I am now grinding my own wheat!

Yep, that's right, I mill my own wheat. After hearing all the chatter about 'the bread you buy at the store is just junk food' ....and even if you make your own bread but use flour or bread flour etc....still junk food........
I decide to look into it myself. If you want more info on the subject Bread Beckers might be a good place to start. I recommend their FREE audio cd.

Anyways, seems lots of my friends were grinding their own wheat and enjoying the health benefits of it. So after talking it over with Chad and coming to terms the time commitment it would take to grind my own wheat and make my own, bread, muffins, pizza dough, etc....we decided to do it.
This is what I purchased to get started.....
The large buckets are wheat....Here is my mill that grinds the wheat...
And the bread machine that is strong enough to mix milled wheat...
So far I used the bread machine to mix and knead and do the 1st rise, but then take the dough out and bake it in the oven.

I needed to store all the extra ingredients, so I found these jars at the Container Store and they do the job nicely.
I made labels using card stock, markers and packaging tape.
Here is how my counter now looks.
The yeast I keep stored in fridge (and after this photo was taken I found out that the lecithin would last longer if stored in the fridge, so it is now in there too)
I have only had it a few days and have already made bread, cookies and pizza dough. And everything so far has been yummy! I will post later about my bread baking experience.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

So here's what I think, we need to become Amish of sorts. We live in a little village were we make our own bread, can our own food and read the Bible by the fireplace in our Little House on the Prairie home.

Of course, the summers would be hot without the ac and we might miss the internet, but I'm thinking we'd adjust quite nicely. :-)

Angela said...

I could definitely do the whole live close to YOU thing and make my own bread and can my own food and read by the fireplace and live on a prairie .......but the no AC and the no internet...I don't that would even be possible. Those are part of my 'daily needs', right? :)

Actually I am really enjoying making my own bread. It is not hard or time consuming like I was anticipating.