Friday, March 21, 2008

Second Language??

I am struggling with whether or not to pursue Rose learning a second language further. About a year ago we did start Spanish lessons (at home). I should state here that I don't know a second language. But she learned to count in Spanish fairly quickly. Knows some colors and a couple of phrases. Well, then we kind of tapered off. Then I feel guilty because I know that now is the window for her to more easily learn a language. I asked some friends that are bilingual and they said that the only way to really learn a language well is immersion. That makes sense.
Yesterday Rose and I went to the Spanish School that has 3 hours of crafts, games, stories, songs, etc all in Spanish. She seemed to really like it. Although she did get very tired by the end of the class because I have to wake her up earlier than normal to go to the class. Also the cost of the class is a bit more than I was expecting to pay for it. So I haven't decided if we are going to enroll.
Immersion Spanish is something I can't 'home school' since I don't know it. I'm am okay with out sourcing when knowledge is needed beyond what I know or could readily learn myself. I am just needing to think this through. Is the cost of money and schedule change worth the class? Is she really going to learn from 3 hours a week? If I don't do it now, will it be more difficult later? Is it really that important to learn a second language? How beneficial is it?
Any suggestions? Also: We do have some Spanish CDs and DVDs...But lately hasn't been wanting to watch or listen to it because she said it is "crazy talk" But back when we doing our lessons she enjoyed them more.
Up to this one, all of her educational decisions have been easy for me to make. Her two year old curriculum and how to implement it...her three year old curriculum...and I am ready and set to start her four year old curriculum next month (I am actually chomping at the bit to finish up 3 yr old Preschool and starting the 4 yr old Kindergarten) I get so excited over educational stuff and yes I know, I go above and beyond the normal. But it is so easy with a daughter who LOVES to learn and actually will request things to learn about. I am in teaching heaven with her. And having Andrew do school with us makes it even more fun.
Anyways, kind of got side tracked there. This post is really about my decision to do the high cost Spanish immersion classes or not. I will have to ponder and talk to Chad about it some more. But I think I am leaning to yes as long as Chad agrees that we could fit it into our already tight budget.
Do you have any experience in learning a second language? what have they been like? ...I'm not talking high school class that you learn nothing from (at least that is how it was for me)...I mean where you really learn and can communicate in it. Any thoughts are welcome!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Hmm... well I've got to back and get ready to head north, so I will have to think on it and reply on Monday. Love you. Happy Easter!

ben said...

Angela... Sorry fot taking so long till I have a chance to write to your blog. Please check our blog to copy the pic of Rose and Ben at www.sweethomealabama.wordpress.com. By the way, Happy Easter. We have been very busy and since it was a spring break for Andy, we spent lots of time together and I dont' have a chance to do my listsf which one of those is email you. I am so glad that we met you at the conference. It was lots of fun. Since we are going back Thailand in April 30th, I hope we might be able to see you one weekend sometime. Say hi to Chad and Rose for us. Take care, Jet and Ben

Jennifer Hoover said...

About the second language.....I have an employee here that speaks Spanish like it was her first language, when I asked her how she learned that well, she said she learned from dating a Mexican man and was submerged in his lifestyle, so maybe submerging in an environment is probably best, but not worth hurting your financial situation for if other options are out there that you are willing to try.

Angela said...

comments are still welcome!!! Chad and I have decided to try it for one month and then re-evaluate.

Samantha said...

Josh and I were talking about this on our drive to KY and this is what we think. First, you are totally correct in saying that immersion is the best way for someone to learn a second language. This is how they train people in the FBI, CIA, etc. Also, we have learned in child development, as you said, that people learn a second language best when they are young. You know that kids are little sponges and they learn things much more quickly as a child. We also believe that enriching Rose with a second language, especially Spanish, cannot hurt.

But here's the thing. She may be able to pick up on Spanish now and learn it while she is taking classes, but what happens when the classes stop? How much sign language do you actually remember? If you don't use it, you lose it. And if Rose doesn't have a community to use this language on a regular basis, she is likely to lose it.

If I had a lot of discretionary money to spend, I might consider a Spanish class when Lilly is older, but since I don't, we will likely try and do other types of enrichment opportunities. You work with her far more than most parents do, so I wouldn't feel like I wasn't doing enough if choose to omit the Spanish class from her schooling.

Josh had a good suggestion. While he does think that it is good to learn another language, especially with the influx of Spanish speaking individuals in American, he might approach it a little differently. Instead of taking Lilly (or said child) to a Spanish class, he has suggested in the past that we do it as a family. That way we can share what we learn and practice it on one other. In this case you could even have a weekly Spanish night where you only speak Spanish to one another, etc. Our church actually offers free Spanish lessons for the congregation through our Hispanic pastor and his ministry. It is something that we have considered doing when Lilly is a little older.

Anywoo, that's our 2 cents worth. I figure, you really can't go wrong with either decision, unless it puts you in a stressful financial position. Love Ya!